Olympic Predictions: Who Was Right?As some of you (at least 40 of you subscribers) may know, Kevin Cacabelos of SB Nation Seattle and I made some Summer Olympics predictions before the games began last week. We also added some others later. You can hear it on our podcast (which adds the comedy of me teaching sports gambling to Kevin) or just check out the results here:
1. Kevin predicts the “under” for U.S. Gold Medals (O/U set at 36.5)
Result: The U.S.A. smashed this number with 46 gold medals. Brian goes up 1-0.
2. We both predict the “Dream Team” will win Olympic Gold.
Result: Thanks to LeBron James a.k.a. “The Best Player on the Planet”, the U.S. brought home gold. Still 1-0 for Brian.
3. Kevin predicts the U.S. team will win a game by less than 15 points.
Result: Stupid Lithuania only lost to the U.S. by five points. Kevin tied it up 1-1.
4. Kevin predicts Andre Iguodala will play the least amount of minutes. Brian takes James Harden. This does not include unibrow man (Anthony Davis)
Result: Tyson Chandler had an early lead, but ended up playing 90 minutes. Andre Iguodala played 97 minutes while James Harden only played 73 minutes! Brian races to a 2-1 lead.
5. Kevin predicted Ryan Lochte would win both the 200 IM and 400 IM. Brian said he wouldn’t win both.
Result: Lochte won the 400 IM, but Michael Phelps won the 200 IM. Put it on the board!!! 3-1 lead for Brian.
6. Kevin took the over for Michael Phelps earning medals (O/U set at 6 1/2).
Result: Phelps earned six medals. Despite being awesome once again, he didn’t quite do enough for Kevin. He’s on fire!!! Brian is up 4-1.
7. Kevin predicted the U.S. women would win the team gold medal, but the men would not in gymnastics. Brian thought they both would win gold.
Result: U.S. women won the gold. Men failed miserably. Kevin rallies when he really needed it. 4-2 lead for the better looking podcaster.
8. Kevin predicted Allyson Felix would win the 100m women’s dash. Brian predicted Carmelita Jeter.
Result: Neither won. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica finished in first. Gotta be honest, didn’t know her at all.
9. Kevin took the field in the 100 M men’s dash. Brian took Usain Bolt or Tyson Gay.
Result: Bolt dominated again. YESSSSS. 5-2 lead for Brian.
10. Kevin predicts Lolo Jones will not earn a medal. Brian says she does.
Result: Lolo Jones controversially finished 4th and earned lots of headlines. She did not earn my love on this one. Kevin pulls to within two at 5-3.
11. Brian predicts Olympic gold in either Modern Pentathalon, Judo, Field Hockey or Triathalon (all events in which the U.S. had never earned gold before). Kevin said they wouldn’t get it done.
Result: Sarah Goff earned 4th in the women’s triathalon finishing 12 seconds off the gold medal time. The U.S. field hockey team is done. Uh oh…but wait! Kayla Harrison won gold for the U.S. in judo! BOOM! Commanding 6-3 lead for Brian.
12. Sports odds dudes said there were 3-1 odds for Great Britain earning between 22-24 golds. Brian took it and Kevin did not.
Result: Great Britain out of nowhere earned 29 golds. What the hell? Kevin stays in it at 6-4.
13. There were 5-6 odds that Great Britain would earn more than 62 medals total. Kevin took it. Brian did not.
Result: Great Britain earned 65 medals. C’mon!!!!!!!!! Kevin now only down one at 6-5!
14. Kevin predicted that Misty May-Treanor and Kerry Walsh-Jennings would win the gold medal. I predicted the other team of Ross/Kessy.
Result: NOOOOOO!!!! Kevin ties it up at 6-6.
15. Kevin took the Russians in the women’s balance beam. I stayed patriotic and went with the good ol’ USA.
Result: Of course the Chinese won.
16. Kevin boldly predicted Usain Bolt would win the 200m. I got the field.
Result: Bolt is ridiculous. Kevin takes the lead 7-6 with an amazing comeback.
17. Kevin went with Brazil in men’s soccer. I went with Mexico.
Result: Mexico beat Brazil 2-1 in the gold medal match. And of course that means….we tied at 7-7. Unreal.